Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July Overseas

I love 4th of July…My family loves 4th of July and every year we have a huge party, and the occasional little one *grin*. We dress up…go see several set’s of fireworks, eat food at my parents and have a great time.

IMG_1830

This year is different…living in Germany means that when you walk down the street to buy groceries at the little Summer market on Saturday you don’t pass rows of house dressed in flag bunting, or stands selling fireworks. Traffic is easy driving home from work on Friday because people aren’t heading north to celebrate by the lakes for the weekend. Monday, their won’t be the smell of BBQ’s and squinting at the sky to see if you can see the next town’s fireworks.

July 2006 014

While it’s different I would not say it’s bad, but I think when we move back to the States someday we will be even more patriotic on the 4th of July!

July 2008 146

So how are we celebrating? I spent last weekend creating a 4th of July mini-album for my mom. Printing out and looking through all the photo’s of the past year made me feel that I was there with her. This weekend Mr. C. and I are making a big effort to keep calling this our “vacation” and are taking time to watch the Tour de France and go to Legoland Germany with our neighbors. On the 4th we are heading to “little America” aka the local Army base to celebrate at a picnic. Next weekend? We are going to the WORLD CUP! I am so excited to wear my red, white and blue and shouting “GO USA” while the soccer team plays I have not had much opportunity to do that lately!

Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...