Sunday, October 16, 2011

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Part 2

Have you been reading about our recent vacation to the Germany Alps? Check out Part 1 if you would like to read about our adventures from the start of our trip!

We started the morning with of course the necessary list:

1. Iced Coffee, don’t usually like but the resort coffee was great!

2. Ensuring the camera was ready, with battery charged…

3. Checking the blackberry for work updates

DSCN0370

Then after a few quick shopping stops we made it downtown. The night before  it had rained and the alps, which had been green and brown with tree and earth were now covered with snow capped peaks…it was amazing…but also so cold!

DSC_0207DSCN0539

While downtown we found this amazing store, Grasegger. They specialize in traditional and quality clothing according to their signs and if you sew…this store is a dream! They have bolts and bolts of fabric, trims, buttons and zippers all in traditional patterns with assistants to help you create the perfect dirndl. Unsure of what a dirndl is? Check out this site: Destination Munich to learn about this traditional form of Bavarian dress. In addition to the fabric Grasegger had beautiful clothing for men, women and children including little baby lederhosen! Don’t you just love the jackets in the picture below? I am trying to get Mr. C. to buy one of these, he would look so handsome in the green.

DSC_0202DSCN0519

Mom and I stopped for at a lovely cafĂ© before meeting dad and Mr. C who were drinking in the sites of the Partnach Gorge. I had my first taste of an Aperol Spritz and it was amazing! My best friend has been telling me how great it is for a while, so I don’t know why I waited so long. Would you like to try your own Aperol Spritz? Check out the recipe below, and if you can’t find Aperol visit their web-site for more information.

Aperol Sprtiz, for 1 drink:

Ingredients:

  • 3 ounces Prosecco (or any sparkling wine)
  • 1 ounce Aperol
  • splash of sparkling water 
  • garnish of orange
  • ice

Directions:

  • First, pour the Prosecco over the ice and then add the Aperol and splash of sparkling (or soda) water. Go easy on the Aperol! It is slightly bitter and too much almost guarantees you will frown when you take a sip *grin*. Finally float a thick slice of orange on top, while not necessary to the drink it adds a little freshness. Next time I make the drink? It made not be quite the “thing” but I may try a sprig of mint.

Did I mention my parents went with me and Mr. C. on this trip? In fact they kind of inspired this trip for us. My dad, born in Munich used to vacation in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area and we still have family in the area. Visiting the family was hard, and very emotional. They talked and reminisced with us about old family hurts, what we lost during World War II but most importantly shared laughter, acceptance and love. I am very glad that we were able to visit.

I have one more post to conclude are lovely trip, thanks for reading and let me know if you try the Aperol Spritz!

- Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...